Even though toxic effects of lead are not known, Documented as early as 2000 BC, the Victorians still used it to paint children’s toys.
“Anything that was coloured or pigmented would have had high levels of a toxic metal in it. Even if it was white it wasn’t safe, there were large levels of lead even in white painted toys.”
What helped lead-painted toys appear harmless was that, contrary to other toxic substances, lead paint isn’t bitter, metallic-tasting, or foul — it is sweet. So, when children placed the toys in their mouths, they weren’t repelled by the taste or discouraged to repeat the act.
Children also swallowed lead paint particles that were fading off. This led to lead poisoning in which many children died in three stages. It was discovered that Charlotte Rafferty (a young girl) began to feel symptoms. “convulsions”It will all become clear after some time. “lines along her gums” appeared. The third stage was death.
The result of lead poisoning is called the blue-purplish lines that appear on the gums. Burton’s lines.Anemia and kidney disease can also indicate lead poisoning. Lead can cause brain damage and nervous system damage.
Lead can also enter the placenta barrier, causing serious harm to unborn babies. Although lead had many negative characteristics, it was not widespread in Victorian England. Dr. Suzanna found that the British used lead in coloring more than any other European country. Remarks:
“In the 1920s, white lead was banned in indoor paint products in Sweden, Czechoslovakia, Austria, Poland, Spain, Finland and Norway, but not Britain. Amazingly, it wasn’t until the 1970s, more than 100 years after the problem had been identified, that the British government controlled the lead content of household paint.”
To make mother’s lives easier, the “banjo-shaped bottle” It was first introduced to the Victorian market. Many loved that children could use it themselves. Mrs. Beeton made the book extremely popular.
In today’s terms Mrs. Beeton would have her catheterized as a “lifestyle guru.”She advocated breastfeeding over bottle-feeding, and Mrs. Beeton wrote about the innovative bottle in 1861.
“The nipple need never be removed till replaced by a new one, which will hardly be necessary oftener than once a fortnight.”
A fortnight is a period of two weeks, and the lifestyle guru’s advice proved to be fatal.
The bottle with the banjo design was made of earthenware and glass. The neck of the bottle was secured by a long rubber tube.
The bottle’s unusual shape, along with the rubber tube, made it difficult for cleaning. Mrs. Beeton suggested cleaning the bottle twice per week to prevent bacteria growth.
Over time, dangerous microorganisms began to grow on the bottles. This was combined with the sensitive and young nature of children proved fatal. It was eventually renamed after being discovered that the bottle was responsible in the deaths many thousands of children. “murder bottle”Then, it was withdrawn from the market.
The use of murder bottles reduced infant mortality in Victorian. Only two out ten children survived past the age of two.
The Victorian Era did not have refrigerators so milk was delicate. Instead, they used ice containers.
An ice box was a wooden storage unit with a tin- or zirconia-lined interior. A compartment was created in the cabinet to hold an ice block. The iceblock, as you might expect was not as efficient at keeping fresh dairy and meat products than modern refrigerators. It would also melt throughout the entire day.
The Victorians had different ideas.
Boracic acid, still used in insecticides was added to milk. It was added to the milk to mask the unpleasant taste and smell of spoiled milk. You had been off milk and Boracic, which caused stomachache and sickness as well as diarrhea. But that’s not the end of milk.
Victorian Era Pasteurization wasn’t properly done or regulated. Bovine Tuberculosis (also known as Bovine TB) was first discovered in milk. Bovine Tuberculosis can inflict the spine and other internal organs.
Children were the most affected by milk consumption. In the Victorian Era, approximately 500,000 children died due to milk alone.